Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Pig Dictatorship

Melannie Cano


Animal Farm
By George Orwell


Have you ever wanted to rebel against a higher authority? Maybe your parents, employer, or government? Mimicking Stalinist Russia, Orwell tells the tale of a farm with overworked, mistreated animals who hope to create a paradise of progress, justice, and equality. Mr. Jones, the farmer, lost a lot of money and began to neglect the animals. These include hens, rats, dogs, horses, a donkey and a raven. He drinks heavily which made him starve and torture them. The animals had enough of the poor treatment and kicked him out successfully. The first order of business was to change the name of the farm to Animal Farm. Then, they composed a set of rules. The pigs of the farm were the most intelligent and literate, “they could already read and write perfectly”(32). Due to many animals not being able to read and remember the Seven Commandments, the main slogan was “Four legs good, two legs bad.”


The pigs asserted leadership in the farm due to their intelligence. Snowball dominated authority but I think he was a good leader. He inspired the animals by teaching them the song "Beasts of England." They loved the song. As the animals maintained themselves over months, Napoleon slowly began to manipulate the rest of the animals. He kicked out Snowball and framed him as a betrayer working with other human farmers. He would make rules that guaranteed them the best treatment because it was necessary to keep them healthy to lead the farm. Though, some animals were harder to convince. Boxer, the horse, often questioned the rules made by Napoleon. Yet, it wasn't enough because the pigs used fear tactics to instill obedience in them. For example, when the pigs made the rule that they would receive the apples and milk. Squealer, a young pig, explained to the other animals: “Comrades! You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples...It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back!”(35).

I have not yet finished the text in its entirety, though I can say it’s not one of the best books I’ve read. I want to finish it because I’m curious to find out how the Animal Farm will end up. I have a feeling the farm will evolve into a totalitarianism society. I appreciate the humorous and satirical aspects of the book; they make it more enjoyable. I prefer mystery and realistic fiction, which is why this book didn’t appeal to me more. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in reading a story mocking the events of the Russian Revolution. I would also recommend Animal Farm to people who like to take away a message from a book; this one, particularly, still applicable even today. I will update when I’ve read the fate of the Animal Farm!

1 comment:

  1. I like how you make a rather simple book sound really interesting in your review. You include good details and support it with quotes to really make the story sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete