Tuesday, October 31, 2017

It's in the rain

It’s in the Rain

Loren Salguero

H2O
By Virginia Bergin

What would happen to the world if a terrible disease were to affect the atmosphere of our Earth? What if we were forced to fear our own nature? This science fiction novel, H20 by Virginia Bergin focuses around the life of a young  girl named Ruby Morris. Ruby is a normal teenage girl going to school, going to parties, drinking, and crushing on boys. One day, the rain appears to carry a deadly disease. “It’s in the rain”(20).  The whole town hides in fear, even from loved ones who are affected. Radio stations and NEWS on TV “Now urging people not to panic”(47). Little did they know everything would fall from there.

Although I did not finish this book, I did enjoy what I read so far. The author gave Ruby a realistic teenage personality by expressing her “hatred” toward her step father, love for her crush, and the typical anxiety-filled moments. I would recommend this book if you are into funny science fiction books but it is not for everybody. The author is kind of boring sometimes because it feels like the story is just a straight line at times. What really drew me in was the science-y concepts in it. She also uses the harmful rain as certain metaphors which are really interesting to find, break down, and think about. Once again, I did not get to finish this book so who knows, maybe I won’t like the whole thing. For now, I still recommend it for anybody who enjoys a simple science/drama type of book.

1 comment:

  1. Your title caught my eye and it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete