Thursday, March 29, 2018

To be a Sinclair

We Were Liars
By: e Lockhart

Salty hair, sun kissed skin and every breath full of a sweet sea breeze, a Sinclair’s summer. The Sinclairs live all over the east coast but each summer are welcomed by the family dock on the Vineyard. However, their last name is more than just eight letters, it is a reputation to maintain. Grandad owns his own private island and lives in his house “Clairmont” with his wife, Tipper, and his two golden retrievers. Grandad also has three daughters and a house on the island for each of them: Cuddledown, Windermere and Red Gate. The view from each house was breathtaking: the peaceful sunset in the evening and glistening sunrise had made it that way. Cady Sinclair and her mother would go up to the island every summer, Cady would reunite with her cousins Miren and Johnny's and Johnny's friend, Gat. Gat came every summer and it was if he was family. The four of them were popularly known as “The Liars” and loved every minute on the island. Just little ways away was Cady’s escape; a private beach for the family… but mostly her and the liars. Cady had an infatuation with Gat and she recalls even “the way his face lights up at the chocolate tugs at my heart” (Lockhart 115). She loved Gat; however, she hated how hard it was to love him. Unfortunately their forbidden love became harder and harder to handle, the Sinclairs did not approve… but why? Young and in love, Cady refused to let their disapproval ruin her perfect summer, until one summer it wasn’t perfect anymore. She was in a horrible accident and couldn’t remember anything. Eventually her amnesia lead to headaches that lead to medication. In a blink of an eye her memory was gone, like she never even existed. Cady soon was dependent on her medication and become depressed and isolated. She tried her best to balance out her depression with love for Gat and friendship, sadly this was only a temporary solution. But at the end of the day she came to the conclusion that “The four of us liars, we have always been. We always will be...No matter where we go, we will always be able to line up on the roof of Cuddledown and gaze at the sea. This island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever” (Lockhart 122). After grandmother “Tipper” passes the greed and filth of the Sinclair sisters pour out. Naturally their kids act out but Cady cannot remember the damage she has done. Lies behind the family name seep out and they no longer can hide behind the wall they have put up. The Liars response to their corrupted family ultimately lead cady to believe “Here I am frozen, when I deserve to burn” (Lockhart 209). Are you curious yet?

In my opinion I loved this book, the plot and storyline was extremely fascinating and left me always wanting to turn the page. I found the book easy to relate too, the main character was exactly my age and lives a summer I have wanted my entire life. A summer on Martha's Vineyard are you serious?! I would do anything to be there with her. Realistic fiction is my go to genre because I am not into history, sci fi or fantasy. The fact that the book took place in Massachusetts made me relate even more. The authors writing style was different yet beautiful. Every once and awhile she would throw in a fairytale story that related to the plot. Because of this I was able to understand any part of the plot I may have misunderstood. She also wrote with imagery and made sure all her sentences flowed together. Each sentence I read made me jealous I wasn't there. Let me tell you, reading this book in the dead middle of January, it was hard to hear Cady describe her day at the beach followed by her boat ride to go get fudge and shop. Not everything in the book was positive though, Cady also recalls “I look at the sea churning beneath me. Dark shapes lurk beneath the surface of the water” (Lockhart 141). This haunting sentence put a dark image in my head for sure. Another thing I noticed with the authors writing style was how perfectly she contrasted words and ideas to get her meaning across. Cady says “Our kiss was electric but soft, tentative and certain...we were young and ancient, warm and shivering and alive ” (Lockhart 24), and later on she adds “touching him is familiar and unfamiliar. We have been here before also we have never been here before. For a moment or minutes, for hours” (Lockhart 86). Both of these quotes demonstrate how an author has the ability to put the right words in the right order to portray a powerful message. Lastly, the story was extremely unique and not predictable, It was also nice Lockhart shed light on sensitive topics, such as depression and addiction, but not in an overbearing way.

Overall I loved this book. I would recommend this book for audiences who love surprises and a good love story. I actually enjoyed the book so much I introduced it to my friends and they read the book and loved it to. I promise you will not expect the ending. I definitely advise reading this book to find out the meaning behind the title!

No comments:

Post a Comment