Thursday, March 29, 2018

Trapped

Trapped
Sonia Ourfalian


Stolen
By: Lucy Christopher



Have you ever felt trapped? Have you ever felt like you are restricted from everything around you? Has there ever been a time where you've been taken away from everything you've ever known or loved?


Stolen by Lucy Christopher is a letter written from a victim to her captor. As 16 year old Gemma meets a 24 year old attractive man named Ty in the Bangkok airport she states “You saw me before I saw you. You had that look in your eyes. Like you wanted me. Wanted me for a long time” (1). Ty took Gemma away from everything she knew and wanted to show her a new and different perspective of life he’d been planning for awhile which is conveyed when she states “ You must have thought of everything: a ticket, a new passport, our route through, how to get past security. Was it the most carefully planned steal ever, or luck?” (11). Ty, drugs her coffee and takes her on a blurry journey where Gemma eventually wakes up in a small house in the Australian outback. Gemma’s letter describes the strange and disturbing months in that outback. At first, through Gemma’s letter it is very unclear what Ty’s intentions were because he was portrayed as a creepy and dangerous man that didn’t allow Gemma to leave or do anything. As the story progresses, he tries to show Gemma the beauty of isolation and emptiness and the idea that you don’t need much to be happy. The disturbing yet beautiful thriller has truly drawn me in with each page.


This riveting read has kept me on my feet since the moment I started it. This compelling story of survival is both complicated and beautiful. Through capturing a different perspective of life, it has shown me the beauty in things I've never seen before. The mystery of why this man has taken Gemma has persisted all the way through up till the point in which I have read so far. This book not only includes a haunting account of captivity but also the power of relationships. I am not exactly sure why he has chosen Gemma, but she must have caught his eye and with them being stuck in this outback, the only thing they have is each other. This book emphasizes that there is much more to life than what we see, with a bit of the mystery aspect, it is truly an emotionally raw thriller. From the moment I started this book till now, I have not been able to put it down, although I have not finished it just yet, I am sure I can get through the next 100 or so pages pretty quickly.

In my opinion, the way in which this book was written is complicated yet fascinating at the same time and I have truly loved it so far. It is for sure a book I wholeheartedly recommend to absolutely anyone because it is not just any typical mystery, it is a book with a whole new point of view that is difficult to predict. When I read a book that is unpredictable, I know the book is intriguing because it keeps me on the edge of my seat yearning for more and that is exactly why I am so engaged in this book. If you are looking for a book with a bit of mystery, suspense, beauty, and thriller, this is the right book for you! Lucy Christopher did an astonishing job at grabbing my attention and I’m sure she’ll do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment