Monday, December 11, 2017

Ball Is Life

Ball Is Life
Iraklis Pagounes


Hoops
By: Walter Dean Myers


Have you ever had a dream that you wanted to chase? Well Lonnie Jackson the 17 year old is in that same position. The dream that he clings on to is one that most young kids have; and that is to become a professional athlete. Loonie wants to play in the NBA! As being a senior in high school, he feels nervous about his next steps in life. He feels that his basketball talents can take him out of Harlem, and he can pursue his dream. Being one of the best players in Harlem he believes that his goal is actually attainable.


Loonie rarely stays home with his mother because they do not have good relationship. He bonds with his basketball coach who has helped him find a place to stay in a hotel called the--Grant. Family is not a really big picture in Loonie’s life as his dad is not mentioned much and he chooses to focus more on basketball. “When his father came in, you could tell there wasn't any lost love between them”(151). Family is clearly not Loonies number one priority.


Overall, I would rate this book an A. I enjoyed reading this book and it made me feel like I was apart of the story. At first I thought it was going to be an action packed sports novel; but is soon revealed as a moral tale about choices and integrity. This was a good book to read because it has a meaning and a lesson to it, it’s more than just a story.


In this novel, Myers makes the game of basketball symbolize the game of life. With all of the frustrations that come with it, Myers used basketball as a way for Loonie to calm down and relax.“ I was playing ball for all these scouts”(95). He took basketball seriously and didn't want anything to get in the way of it. Everyone has that one thing that you do when you're not feeling themselves; and for Loonie that was to play basketball. “I couldn’t hear anybody after me, but I put the ball on the backboard”(50).  He was focused and determined. This is where the main character connects to me. I too share the passion and love for the sport of basketball and use it as a stress reliever. Also coincidentally, Loonie is a High school senior. After reading this book, it felt as if Loonie and I were somehow related.

I would definitely recommend this book to readers that want more than just a story. And if you like basketball--you will fall in love with it. Readers that enjoyed books like “More than a game” by Brian Billick will like this. Teenagers that love sports will like this book and hopefully will take away the same life lessons that that I did.

2 comments: