Monday, December 11, 2017

Summer's Last Straw

Caroline Crowley


The Cellar
By: Natasha Preston


It only takes a matter of seconds for a child to be abducted. A matter of seconds and a child is out of their family’s lives for who knows how long. One night as seventeen year old Summer Robinson ventured away from her friends, she found herself face to face with her kidnapper, Clover. With sharp and sudden movements he snatched her and lodged her in the back of his van like it was nothing. No matter how hard she fought it wasn’t ever going to be enough. Summer’s name was soon changed to Lily and she was introduced to her flower sisters, Violet, Rose and Poppy. After seven months of living in her kidnappers basement, Summer Robinson was beginning to lose hope. I mean wouldn’t you? Everyday it is the same thing, wake up, shower, eat breakfast with Clover, watch a movie with her “sisters”, knit and go to bed. Trapped with no sunlight, no friends, no family, Summer saw no point to life. Her family, friends and her boyfriend are what kept her going, but how much longer could she take? The longer she thought about the people who loved her the more she wanted to get out. Everyday Summer Robinson has two choices to make: to sit quietly with her mouth sewn shut or fight with every bit on energy she has. Each day she played Clover’s messed up game of life she would battle with herself. After agonizing months of fighting with herself, Summer finally reached a conclusion- to fight.


I will admit I am not the biggest reader so I was extremely surprised to find out how much I liked this book. The main character reminded me of myself right from the start. The author was extremely thoughtful when developing her story, I never wanted to stop reading. Preston was able to utilize all the reader's senses through her choice of words. When Summer was on her deathbed she explained how  “a dark fog spread across me” (321). Eventually she was awoken by  “a sea of voices that  filled the room as everyone spoke at the same time” (322 ). All her anxiety was building up and she described her throat as ”dry, like I’d swallowed sand” (322). In my head I could hear the mess of voices as everyone spoke at the same time, I could feel the pain she felt as she tried to swallow. Being connected to the characters helps me empathize for them.


Another reason why I loved the book was Prestons uniqueness and creativity. When Summer is finally found she cannot process the reality she in thrown into. She is overwhelmed by tears and smiles from her family who she thinks are strangers. Rose, Poppy and Violet gave Summer the things she needed most: companionship and comfort. Those she is being stripped of. Summer explains “I almost wanted to be called Lily- to be the same as them again. For almost eight months they were all I knew, and being away from them made me feel vulnerable ”(325).  All four of them- Lily, Violet, Rose and Poppy- depend on each other. It is heartbreaking how her own brother felt like a stranger to her.  Summer was a smart girl and understood that “I knew I wasn’t the same person, and I didnt know if I ever would be again but I am going to move on and find Summer again”(339). I hate to spoil this part but it just shows how talented the author is. I enjoyed reading this part because it is not what I expected would happen in real life, not everyone has a happy ending. The last reason I enjoyed this book so much was the transition of the main character Summer. Transitions are a recurring concept; Summer transitioned into Lily and now out of Lily. Her traumatizing transitions shows how hard her situation was and how difficult it was for her to adjust. Summer explains how “Once you’d lived your own personal horror movie, nothing else's measured up.” (338). I could then realize how lucky I am and how hard it is going to be for her to transition back into normal life. She is exposed to her new freedom's, can you imagine a day where simply being in the sunlight is a new freedom?


Natasha Preston’s, “The Cellar” is a  phenomenal read. If this topic is unsettling for you then steer clear because the author does not hold back. Expect to read about every detail or every death and be ready to unfold every twist and turn the storyline takes. The book is not all serious though. Natasha Preston’s writing is sophisticated and serious; however, she still can add a touch of humor to lighten up the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment